Cash is the most common form of payment in the world. It’s easy to do and can help you get you to make your purchases on the net payment. However, digital ways of payment surpass cash handling. But checks are used widely.
One may get payment from any organization or company. Still, you have to use the checks. Government checks are widely issued to people regarding tax refunds or social security checks. Once you get a check, you can deposit it into your account or get the cash. What if you don’t hold a bank account? Then cashing a government check can become a headache. So in this article, we will describe how to cash a government check without a bank account.
Different ways to cash a Government check / Stimulus check without a bank account
There are different ways to cash a government check or stimulus check without a bank account. It depends on your preference and conditions. So we will discuss each that may help you out.
Cash your government check from the drawn bank
You can also cash a government check from the issuing bank if you don’t have a bank account. But they may charge you a fee if you don’t hold a checking account in their bank. It will be some percentage of the check amount. You will receive the payment either in cash or deposited into your account. But mostly, you will get cash from the retailers. Depending on the bank service quality, this may take 2-3 business days. You have to go to the writer’s bank and follow the steps:
- Endorse the check with your signature on the backside.
- Present your check before the cashier.
- He will ask for a copy of your National photo ID. It’s for security purposes and safekeeping. So they can keep a record of withdrawals.
- After verification, he will cash your check.
It is beneficial to cash government checks from the banks where they are drawn. Because they have access to the questioning amount from the writer’s check and will provide you with the total amount immediately.
Cashing a check at an ATM
With your prepaid debit card, you can cash any government check through ATM. Many banks have modern ATMs that can instantly provide you with the service. You have to deposit a check at one of those ATMs. The amount will be immediately transferred to your debit card or after 2-3 business days. So here is how to do it:
- Insert your debit card into the respective bank ATM.
- Enter the pin to access the menu.
- From there, select the “Deposit Check” service.
- Now insert your check in the check deposit slot.
- Confirm the amount written on the check.
- Now withdraw the amount you want.
You can only cash a check from the ATM of those banks that cash checks on a prepaid debit card. A direct deposit option is also available if you don’t want to cash the check.
Using check cashing apps
Using check-cashing apps is a convenient way to cash different paper checks. You have to upload clear pictures of the check. Then after verification, the check amount will be transferred to your prepaid debit card. But there is some check cashing fee they may charge upto 4$ for a check of 1000$. But in this way, you can cash a check without a bank account.
Some Best Check Cashing Apps
With their traffic status and customer satisfaction, these are considered the best check-cashing apps. You can use one of these to cash your checks.
- ACE Mobile Loads
- Brink’s Money Prepaid
- Walters: Your Mobile Banking
- Lodefast Check Cashing App
- Check Cashing Store
- Boost Mobile Wallet
- InGo Mobile cash
Cash it from a retailer
You can always cash your government-issued checks from several retailers or grocery stores. They usually charge less than the writer’s bank. You can either purchase the amount of the check or get the cash instantly.
Some retailers may ask for your Photo ID copy or any identification documents. Moreover, some retailers won’t cash it unless you are their premium member. One safety measure that should be followed while cashing a check is always don’t sign the back of the check unless you need to cash the check.
Government Check Cashing At Walmart
There is a max $4 fee for cashing checks of up to $1,000; a max $8 fee for cashing checks over $1,000 and up to $5,000 or $7,500 during tax refund season.
How do I cash a government check at Check Cashing Stores?
Many private companies provide the service of instantly cashing the checks. These companies are known for their high charges because they may charge upto 8% of your check amount for instant cash. Because they know they are dealing with customers who need money as soon as possible.
Moreover, it is because they cash the check on risk without verification of the person. They require a copy of a valid id for security purposes. So always have it with you when you are using such companies. These companies not only cash paychecks but also cash different types of checks, including:
- Insurance checks
- Personal checks
- Government checks
- Loan checks
- Stimulus checks
What To Do At Check Cashing Stores
- Go to the local check cashing store.
- Be sure to bring a government-issued photo ID, and know your Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Both adults will need to be present to cash the check in-store if two named adults are on the check.
- Your check will be cashed after the deduction of fees.
Using A Friends Favor
You can ask your friend for this favor if you have good company. You can ask your friend to keep your check, and he will give you the cash for the written amount. It is the best way to cash the check if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, ask him to cash in the bank where he holds an account. It will not only save you from opening an account but also from cashing charges.
Things to take into account while cashing a check without a bank account
These are the necessary things to know before you cash a check without a bank account.
- There is always a fee for cashing a check without a bank account.
- So to save your money, always seek the least charging check cashing service.
- When you’re trying to cash your check without a bank account, the service provider will always ask for some ID for verification, so always have it with you.
Safety Measures while cashing a check
There are specific safety measures you must take while cashing a check. It will not only promise smoother service but will also save you from many problems.
- Always verify the person/organization that wrote you the check.
- Check the address and last and first name of the person/ Organization.
- The check is made through a legitimate bank.
- Check if sufficient funds are in the check writer’s account, which covers your amount.
- Check for the credentials of the check. It is necessary that your name is written correctly on the check and it matches your name on your Valid PHOTO ID. Bank won’t cash the check if your name is written according to your identification document.
- Always look for endorsement details. Check the date and amount and verify if they are written correctly.
- Check for the owner of the account signature. Without the owner’s signature, you won’t be able to cash the check.
- Endorse and sign the backside of the check before you cash it.
- If the check is written in the payee of more than one. All payees have to endorse and sign the backside of the check.
- But if they manage a single joint account, only one can cash the check by signing it individually.
- Try to cash the check on the date it is given to you. Some checks have validity dates. After those dates, you won’t be able to cash the check.
We hope this article has helped you cash a government check without a bank account. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments.
Afza Ahmad is a freelance writer specializing in finance and banking. With an in-depth knowledge of the industry, she has written extensively on topics ranging from stock market trends to international banking regulations.