Life can be unpredictable once you are living in some specific place and at another moment you are in another country, especially when you are employed or have moved to another country. Sometimes people get their checks from certain organizations established in their previous residency nation. The question they ask the most is how to cash a paycheck abroad. The answer is described in this article completely. So keep on reading to find out how to cash your paycheck abroad.
How to cash a paycheck abroad, especially in the USA
When you have moved from another nation and have got your paycheck from the previous nation’s bank, you can cash it by various means. Some of these methods are:
Using online banking
You can cash your paycheck from a previous nation in another nation while using the online banking app if you hold an account in the bank from which the check is drawn.
- Log in to the mobile banking app.
- Select mobile check deposit.
- Take clear pictures of the front and back of the check.
- Upload the pictures.
- After verification, the amount will be transferred to your account.
Sometimes the banks take 2-3 business days to transfer the amount to the account due to verification. Once the check is deposited into your account, you can withdraw the amount using your VISA card.
Use VPS or VPN to access your mobile banking app in another nation.
Many banks won’t allow users to access the banking app internationally and will decline the most payments made. It is due to the proxy firewall. In oTo protect your account from hackers and fraud. In this condition, you must use your previous country’s IP address to access your banking app and smother transactions. In this regard, you can use a VPS or VPN that provides the IP address of your previous nation. Once the VPS or VPN is connected, you can cash your paycheck using a mobile banking app.
Some Good VPNs
The VPN comes in handy when using the banking app abroad due to less cost or free availability. Because VPS provides a real connection and can be costly, some of the best VPNs, according to the user experience, are mentioned below. You can use any of them.
- Nord VPN
- Express VPN
- Norton secure VPN.
These VPNs have different package plans. Some of them are free for most locations. To access certain country IPs, you have to purchase them.
By using a mailing service
You can also catch your check by sending it through mailing services to your bank address. You can use various milling services depending on your preference.
- To mail a check, first of all, endorse the check correctly.
- After correctly endorsing the check, fill out the deposit slip issued by your bank.
- Now go to a well-known mailing service in the country you are residing.
- Ask the representative to mail your check with a deposit slip on International Courier services.
After the check is mailed to your bank, the check will be deposited into your account. From there, you can cash it by using your debit card.
Safety precautions while mailing a check
- First of all, ensure that you have correctly entered the bank name and address in which you are depositing your cheque.
- Make sure that you have endorsed correctly.
- Don’t forget to enclose a deposit slip with your check. Always use a well-known mailing service to deliver your check timely.
- Keep track of your check by tracking the ID provided by the mailing company.
- After the check is delivered to your bank, call your bank authorities. Keep In touch with the bank for smooth encashment for depositing your cheque.
Some well-known international mailing services
These are some well-known international mailing services throughout the world. That provides in-time delivery and much more to their customers. Choosing one of these, depending on availability in the nation you are living can be beneficial for cashing your check.
Opening a credit union account
You can open credit union accounts in many banks. They will allow international check cashing services and money transfers and exchanges. But they have relatively higher fees than normal accounts. The process for cashing a check in a credit union account is similar to the normal check cashing in any bank. But they also require your check deposit slip and a valid ID. Mostly they will demand a Passport copy for security purposes.
How long does it take to cash a check abroad by credit union account?
After the check is deposited in any bank that offers credit union services, they will verify your check by contacting the bank from where the check is issued after verification. It may take upto two weeks or more to cash your check. The cash amount will be deposited to your account directly by the banks once they receive the payment from the previous bank.
Banks that offer international check deposits in the USA
Many banks in the USA provide international check-cashing services in the USA. But there is one condition: the check should be in US currency because many banks won’t accept other currency checks due to the higher tax rate on specific currency conversion. You must hold a credit union account in these banks to cash your check.
- Chase bank
- Bank of America
- US Bancorp
- Trust Financial Corporation
- PNC Financial Services
- TD Bank
Safety measures while cashing a check abroad
- Make sure that the check you are cashing is written correctly.
- Make sure the check is on a date.
- Endorse the check properly before mailing or cashing by credit union bank.
- Always double-check the address where you are mailing your check.
- Always use VPN or VPS connection to deposit checks while using your previous country’s banking app.
So we hope that after reading this article, you can cash your check while living abroad, whether in the USA or any country. If you have any comments, please let us know in the comments.
Afza Ahmad is a freelance writer specializing in finance and banking. With an in-depth knowledge of the industry, she has written extensively on topics ranging from stock market trends to international banking regulations.