How to cash a paycheck in USA is the most commonly asked question by fresh employees. Or the people that have come to the U.S. for job purposes. As with the advent of the 21st century, many organizations have moved with digital payment systems, but the usage of checks is still considered.
One may get his payment in check or arrears from any organization or company. Still, you have to use the checks. Once you get a check, you can deposit it into your account or get the cash. So in this article, we will describe how to cash a paycheck in USA using different methods.
How to cash a paycheck in USA | Different preferences
There are different ways to cash a paycheck. It depends on your preference and conditions. So we will discuss each that may help you out.
Cashing it from the bank where you hold an account
When you have received the paycheck, you can go to the bank where you already have an account. Then go to the representative of the bank and follow the steps:
- Ask for the charges of cashing if there are any.
- Endorse the check on the backside. (i.e., sign the check)
- Fill out the payment slip if they ask to and sign it.
- Take your cash, and you are good to go.
Sometimes the banks don’t have enough cash at that moment. They give you a down payment of the check. For example, for a check of $1000, they will give you around $200, and the rest will be deposited into your bank account. To deposit the check in your account, you have to consider that it may take two or three days. Then you can withdraw the cash by using your debit card.
Some best banks in the USA for opening an account
There are some banks in the USA that are ranked as the best banks to open a bank. These banks are ranked based on customer review, experience, and their far-made services. Moreover, these banks provide swift customer support 24/7. These are:
- U.S. Bank.
- PNC Bank.
- Trust Bank.
- Goldman Sachs
- Chase Bank.
- Bank of America.
- Wells Fargo.
These banks have a wide network of ATMs nationwide and multiple branches.
Cash A Paycheck Without A Bank Account
You can also cash your paycheck from the issuing bank if you don’t have a bank account. But they may charge you a fee if you don’t hold a checking account in their bank. It will be some percentage of the check amount. You will receive the payment either in cash or deposited into your account. Depending on the bank service quality, this may take 2-3 business days. You have to go to the writer’s bank and follow the steps:
- Endorse the check with your signature on the backside.
- Present your check before the cashier.
- He will ask for a copy of your National photo I.D. It’s for security purposes and safekeeping. So they can keep a record of withdrawals.
- After verification, he will cash your check.
It is beneficial to go to the check writer’s bank. Because they have access to the questioning amount from the writer’s check and will provide you with the total amount immediately.
Check cashing policies of different banks in the USA.
As said earlier, banks charge different ways to cash paychecks if you don’t hold an account there. A general estimate of their charges is described:
If you are cashing a paycheck in a Chase bank ranging from $50 to $1000, they may charge upto $5 for cash.
Bank of America has the same charges plan as Chase bank checks ranging from $50 to $1000 are charged a $5 fee for cash. The charges also increase as the amount written on the checks is to be cashed.
Citi bank charges a fee of $7 for noncustomers for cashing their checks.
While for the trust bank, the charges are different from other banks. They charge upto $8 for cashing paychecks. But the service is free for people living in New Jersey.
Cashing a Paycheck using cell phones
Many banks provide a facility to cash paychecks without paying a visit to the bank. It is done by using banking apps. Follow these steps to cash a check by using your cell phone:
- Firstly endorse the check.
- Now upload clear pictures of the front and back of the check through the app.
- Wait for the confirmation message.
Either the amount is shortly deposited to your account, depending upon your bank. Or you have to wait 2-3 business days for the process. Later, you can use your debit card to withdraw an amount from your account.
Using check cashing apps
Using different check cashing apps, you can also cash your paycheck in the USA. The process is simple, like cashing a check using mobile banking apps, although it follows some charges.
Some famous check-cashing apps are mentioned below:
- Brink’s Money.
- Ingo Money.
- Western Union Netspend.
- Green Dot.
- Cashing a Check Instantly.
You can use these anywhere, any time to cash your paychecks.
Cashing a paycheck at an ATM
Many banks have modern ATMs that can instantly provide you with the service. You have to deposit a check at one of your bank’s ATMs. The amount will be instantly transferred to your account or after 2-3 business days. So here is how to do it:
- Insert your debit card into the respective bank ATM.
- Enter the pin to access the menu.
- From there, select the “Deposit Check” service.
- Now insert your check in the check deposit slot.
- Confirm the amount written on the check.
- Now withdraw the amount you want.
You can only cash a check from the ATM of those banks where you have a registered account. Other ATMs may or may not provide this service.
How To Cash Your Check When You Are In A Hurry?
Sometimes when you are in a hurry and need the paycheck to be cashed instantly, you can use the following methods to cash a check.
Cash it from a retailer
You can always cash your paycheck from several retailers or grocery stores in the USA. They usually charge less than the writer’s bank. You can either purchase the amount of the check or get the cash instantly. There are many retailers Walmart, Halfords, and Costco.
Checks variations accepted by Retailers
Some retailers don’t accept handwritten checks, but they accept various types of checks, including:
- Cashier’s checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- 401(k) disbursement checks
- Two-party personal checks up to $200
- Preprinted checks
- Payroll checks
- Government checks, including tax checks
Some retailers may ask for your Photo ID copy or any identification documents.
Moreover, some retailers won’t cash it unless you are their premium member. One safety measure that should be followed while cashing a check is always don’t sign the back of the check unless you need to cash the check.
Check Cashing Stores
Many private companies provide the service of instantly cashing the check. These companies are known for their high charges because they may charge upto 8% of your check amount for instant cash. Because they know they are dealing with customers who need money as soon as possible.
Moreover, it is because they cash the check on risk without verification of the person. They require a copy of a legal identification document for security purposes. So always have it with you when you are using such companies.
Using A Friends Favor
You can ask your friend for this favor if you have good company. You can ask your friend to keep the check, and he will give you the cash for the written amount. It is the best way to cash the check if you are in a hurry.
Safety Measures while cashing a check
There are specific safety measures you must take while cashing a check. It will not only promise smoother service but will also save you from many problems.
- Always verify the person/organization that wrote you the check.
- Check the address and last and first name of the person/ Organization.
- Always ask for cash if you haven’t met the person or encountered the organization.
- Ask for the contact information of the writer in case you have to reach them.
- The check is made through a legitimate bank.
- Check if sufficient funds are in the check writer’s account, which covers your amount.
- Check for the credentials of the check. It is necessary that your name is written correctly on the check and it matches your name on your Valid PHOTO ID. Bank won’t cash the check if your name is written according to your identification document.
- Always look for endorsement details. Check the date and amount and verify if they are written correctly.
- Check for the owner of the account signature. Without the owner’s signature, you won’t be able to cash the check.
- Endorse and sign the backside of the check before you cash it.
- If the check is written in the payee of more than one. All payees have to endorse and sign the backside of the check.
- But if they manage a single joint account, only one can cash the check by signing it individually.
- Try to cash the check on the date it is given to you. Some checks have validity dates. After those dates, you won’t be able to cash the check.
We hope this article has helped you greatly with how to cash a check. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments.
Q: Can we cash a personal check without a bank account?
A: Yes, you can cash these checks from the issuing bank.
Q: Are there any charges for cashing payroll checks?
A: It depends on which service you are using. If you are cashing it from your bank, there will be no charges. But if you use any of the services mentioned above, there will be some charges.
Q: Can I deposit a government check into my savings account?
A: Yes, you can deposit your check, whether it’s govt or personal, in your savings account if it’s valid.
Q: Can I transfer my paycheck to another person?
A: Yes, you can transfer your paycheck to another person. Just endorse the paycheck correctly.
Q: Can we cash checks at every atm?
A: The answer relies on the terms and conditions of banks. Some banks allow you to cash it instantaneously. Others will ask to deposit it into your bank accounts.
Q: Are there any charges for cashing checks at ATMs?
A: There are minor charges that include atm switch fees for cashing checks at ATMs.
Afza Ahmad is a freelance writer specializing in finance and banking. With an in-depth knowledge of the industry, she has written extensively on topics ranging from stock market trends to international banking regulations.