A few days back, I searched for information on how to cash a paycheck without a bank account and found many legit ways on this topic. Cash is the most common form of payment in the world. It’s easy to do and can help you get you to make your purchases on the net payment. However, digital ways of payment surpass cash handling. But checks are used widely.
One may get payment from any organization or company. Still, you have to use the checks. Once you get a check, you can deposit it into your account or get the cash. What if you don’t hold a bank account? Then cashing your paycheck can become a headache. So in this article, we will describe how to cash a paycheck without a bank account.
Different ways to cash a paycheck without a bank account
There are different ways to cash a paycheck without a bank account. It depends on your preference and conditions. So we will discuss each that may help you out.
Cash a paycheck from the drawn bank
You can also cash your paycheck from the issuing bank if you don’t have a bank account. But they may charge you a fee if you don’t hold a checking account in their bank. It will be some percentage of the check amount.
You will receive the payment either in cash or deposited into your account. But mostly, you will get cash from the retailers. Depending on the bank service quality, this may take 2-3 business days. You have to go to the writer’s bank and follow the steps:
- Endorse the check with your signature on the backside.
- Present your check before the cashier.
- He will ask for a copy of your National photo ID. It’s for security purposes and safekeeping. So they can keep a record of withdrawals.
- After verification, he will cash your check.
It is beneficial to go to the check writer’s bank. Because they have access to the questioning amount from the writer’s check and will provide you with the total amount immediately.
Cashing a check at an ATM
With your prepaid debit card, you can cash your check through ATM. Many banks have modern ATMs that can instantly provide you with the service. You have to deposit a check at one of those ATMs. The amount will be instantly transferred to your debit card or after 2-3 business days. So here is how to do it:
- Insert your debit card into the respective bank ATM.
- Enter the pin to access the menu.
- From there, select the “Deposit Check” service.
- Now insert your check in the check deposit slot.
- Confirm the amount written on the check.
- Now withdraw the amount you want.
You can only cash a check from the ATM of those banks that cash checks on a prepaid debit card.
How to cash a paycheck without a bank account using check cashing apps
Using check cashing is a convenient way to cash paychecks. You have to upload clear pictures of your paycheck. Then after verification, the check amount will be transferred to your prepaid debit card. They may charge upto 4$ for a check of 1000$. But in this way, you can cash your paycheck without a bank account. These are some of the famous check-cashing apps that are used widely for cashing different types of checks:
- Brink’s Money Prepaid Mobile App
- Ingo Money App
- Western Union Netspend Prepaid Mastercard Mobile
- Green Dot
Cash it from a retailer
You can always cash your paycheck from several retailers or grocery stores. They usually charge less than the writer’s bank. You can either purchase the amount of the check or get the cash instantly. Some retailers may ask for your Photo ID copy or any identification documents.
Moreover, some retailers won’t cash it unless you are their premium member. One safety measure that should be followed while cashing a check is always don’t sign the back of the check unless you need to cash the check.
Check Cashing Stores
Many private companies provide the service of instantly cashing the checks. These companies are known for their high charges because they may charge upto 8% of your check amount for instant cash. Because they know they are dealing with customers who need money as soon as possible.
Moreover, it is because they cash the check on risk without verification of the person. They require a copy of a legal identification document for security purposes. So always have it with you when you are using such companies. These companies not only cash paychecks but also cash different types of checks, including:
- Insurance checks
- Personal checks
- Government checks
- Loan checks
- Stimulus checks
Using A Friends Favor
You can ask your friend for this favor if you have good company. You can ask your friend to keep your check, and he will give you the cash for the written amount. It is the best way to cash the check if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, ask him to cash in the bank where he holds an account. It will not only save you from opening an account but also from cashing charges.
Things to take into account while cashing a paycheck without a bank account
These are the necessary things to know before you cash your paycheck without a bank account.
- There is always a fee for cashing a check without a bank account.
- So to save your money, always seek the least charging method.
- When you’re trying to cash your check without a bank account, the service provider will always ask for some ID for verification, so always have it with you.
Safety Measures while cashing a check
There are specific safety measures you must take while cashing a check. It will not only promise smoother service but will also save you from many problems.
- Always verify the person/organization that wrote you the check.
- Check the address and last and first name of the person/ Organization.
- The check is made through a legitimate bank.
- Check if sufficient funds are in the check writer’s account, which covers your amount.
- Check for the credentials of the check. It is necessary that your name is written correctly on the check and it matches your name on your Valid PHOTO ID. Bank won’t cash the check if your name is written according to your identification document.
- Always look for endorsement details. Check the date and amount and verify if they are written correctly.
- Check for the owner of the account signature. Without the owner’s signature, you won’t be able to cash the check.
- Endorse and sign the backside of the check before you cash it.
- If the check is written in the payee of more than one. All payees have to endorse and sign the backside of the check.
- But if they manage a single joint account, only one can cash the check by signing it individually.
- Try to cash the check on the date it is given to you. Some checks have validity dates. After those dates, you won’t be able to cash the check.
We hope this article has helped you cash your paycheck without a bank account. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments.
Afza Ahmad is a freelance writer specializing in finance and banking. With an in-depth knowledge of the industry, she has written extensively on topics ranging from stock market trends to international banking regulations.